- Phone: 919.969.8820
- Address: 800 Market Street | Chapel Hill, NC 27713
- Sundays: 8:30, 9:45, 11am, and 7pm
Christ UMC is turning 20 and, to celebrate, we're throwing a big party! But it's not just for us. It's for the entire community as we give thanks for God's faithfulness over the last 20 years. Lasting 20 days from October 17 until November 4, we will be offering over 20 events -- some big, some small and some in-between -- that celebrate what God has done and is continuing to do through our church in the community and around the world. Take a look below, show up, take part, celebrate and, if you have any questions, email Associate Pastor Brent Levy.
Sat., October 17- 9-11 am
Stop Hunger Now Food Packaging Event, Culbreth Middle School cafeteria. In honor of 20 years of ministry in the Community, we’re packaging 20,000 meals to send around the world to feed the hungry.
Sun., October 18; Eric Swanson, author of The Externally Focused Church 8:30, 9:45, and 11 am services preaches at all morning services, CUMC Sanctuary
Sun., October 18- 12:30 – 2:30 pm
Luncheon Workshop with Eric Swanson, Ascension Hall
Wed., October 21- 6:30 pm
Flash Mob Mystery Event #1 We’ll be serving God’s people somewhere, somehow, but you won’t know the details until you get the email, text message, or social media blast. Want to stay in the know? Contact Pastor Brent at
Sun., October 25- 9:45am-12:30 pm
There’s Something Goin’ on Around Here Church
Scavenger Hunt Solve the clues as you learn about (join in after any service) CUMC’s history, buildings, ministries/missions, & more! Starts in Ascension Hall.
Mon., October 26- 6:30 pm
Flash Mob Mystery Event #2 We’ll be serving God’s people somewhere, somehow, but you won’t know the details until you get the email, text message, or social media blast. Want to stay in the know? Contact Pastor Brent at
Wed., October 28-5:30-8:00 pm
(Food) Trucks & Trivia, CUMC parking lot; Pretty self-explanatory, huh? Grab dinner from a few local food trucks and then join us for trivia with topics ranging from pop culture to the 20 year history of Christ Church.
Sun., Nov. 1 All Saint’s Day – The CUMC Bell Choir will offer
8:30, 9:45, and 11 am services special music as we remember and move forward in celebration of God’s faithfulness.
Wed., Nov. 4 Performance by 100 Men in Black Gospel Choir,
6:30-8:00 pm CUMC Sanctuary
The following events/activities will be ongoing throughout the 20 days of our 20/20 celebration:
• 20/20 Daily Devotional - (Coming on October 17th!!) CUMC members write about special memories and meaningful moments in Christ’s church’s past as well as their hopes and dreams for our future. Read it on our website (www.christmethodist.org) or pick up a copy in Ascension Hall or the church office.
• CUMC Picture Timeline – Check out the timeline that will wrap around Ascension Hall and feature key events in the life of the church, including when you joined the church, celebrated a baptism, confirmation, or wedding here, etc. Bring a photo or other memento to clip to the timeline.
• 20/20 Celebration Banner – Jane Schenck will create a new banner for the narthex in celebration of the 20th anniversary of CUMC’s first service. Watch for more information about how you can help.
• Children’s Time Capsule – Kids, start planning now for an object you can place in the capsule that represents something you’ll look forward to or hope for in 20 years? Date coming soon!
• My Dream is . . . Interactive Wall – We’re putting a giant chalk board on the church’s front lawn where you and members of the community can write your dreams and prayers for the future.
• Twitter & Facebook #tbt – We’ll be sharing photos that are a “throwback” to an earlier time in the life of Christ Church on Thursday, Oct. 23 & 30 and Nov. 5. Submit your pictures to Maggie Ivancic TODAY ( )! No Twitter or Facebook? No worries! We’ll show the picture before worship each Sunday during the 20/20 celebration.
• Sermon Archives – Check out our website throughout the 20 days of this celebration to hear sermons from our founding pastor Raegan May and others.
• CUMC’s First Cross – It now stands in our grassy churchyard beside Kildaire Road. But 20 years ago, the original cross stood patiently in a dirt lot waiting for construction to begin on the CUMC Sanctuary. Tack a message to the cross, stop by for a time of prayer, or decorate it with flowers as we give thanks to God for His faithfulness to our congregation, community, and the world.